Monday, September 11, 2017

Writing + Teaching

There is an enormous difference between saying you are going to do a thing and actually doing the thing. I've been saying for months that I was going to switch careers and become a teacher, but I've noticed recently that there is a difference between a teacher in thought and a teacher in action.


This concept isn't necessarily new for me; it's difficult to avoid after years of writers' conferences telling me that if I'm not writing, I'm not a writer. In school, you can be a "teacher" yet do little to no teaching. We've all seen or heard about it. Some teacher's names are spoken in a sort of annoyed whisper because everyone knows they are employed at the school out of habit, not because they are any good at their job.


I don't want to be one of those writers who "isn't a writer", just as I don't want to be one of those teachers who "isn't a teacher". This means working hard to stay away from easy solutions. In stressful times as these, I tend to pick the easier route. It often means putting off goals, such as when I decided to stop querying because my life was incredibly chaotic. But Giles and I have been planning an afternoon of querying, so I'm glad to say that I'm beginning to steer away from the writer's easy route*.


It's easy to jump in front of a class of students and treat the space like a giant stage for all your great ideas. The hard part is tricking the students into using things they've learned in the past and a few new tidbits of information to teach themselves. I'm excited to learn to be a better teacher; I never want to be the person whose name is attached to not trying hard enough.



Michelle didn't make anyone cry at school today. 
Oh, well. There's always tomorrow. 


*This is one of my personal goals :) If you're a writer and you're not querying, good for you. If you are querying, good for you! Everyone has a different definition of what makes them a writer. Actively querying and getting words written or edited every week happens to be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment