Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Thoughts on Blogging and Branding

A few years ago, I stopped blogging on my personal blog. Not because I didn't like it anymore, but because it felt like I'd run out of things to say.

The thing about a brand, like we've developed in Beyond the Trope, is that whatever we do with this project, it needs to be, as often as possible, on-brand. Obviously, because of how we've set up the brand, we're allowed to deviate from it to an extent, and by definition, we'll still be "on-brand" because we're "flipping the trope" of our brand.

That doesn't mean it's always easy to come up with blog topics. It's an odd position to be in. I write almost every day (most weeks, anyway), and I'm even doing research for my day job, possible new opportunities for life, and my workshops at RMFW in a couple weeks. What this means is that I have a lot to think about. But it's hard to make those thoughts turn into something worth writing about in blog form.

But because I'm writing a branding workshop, it's something that I can discuss today, insomuch as I have already done so, and I think there are a couple of other small tips I want to leave you with. First off, all of my branding knowledge comes from the college courses I took back in '15 and from the short process (okay, almost half a year) of preparing to start up a company. Granted, we never started that company, but we learned a LOT. Anyway, my two pieces of advice for anyone who wants to build a personal or professional brand is to figure out what you do that other people also do and focus on how you do that differently than everyone else. Second, focus on that difference, build on it, make it a strength, and then integrate that into an ever-evolving process that will help you stand out from the crowd.

It's not a lot, but if you're looking to build a brand, that's the best place I can think of to start. That's how we branded ourselves after doing this for a year, and that's how I'm building my own brand. It may not be the best way to do it, but you'd have to ask real experts to learn that. Which you should absolutely do.

Giles in NO way makes any claim of expertise in the world of business. If any reader in any way intends to pursue business opportunities, either personal or professional, he STRONGLY recommends seeking the advice of professional consultants.

No comments:

Post a Comment