Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Revisiting The Matrix

Not long ago, my wife and I rewatched The Matrix because it was on Netflix. It had been eight years since the last time, and when I watched it back in '09, it was badly written, weighed down with metaphors that beat the viewer over the head with immediate literal representations of said metaphor. The improbable storyline forced its way from one point to the next with highly contrived events that "magically" saved the day in time for the hero to save the world.

Then when my wife and I watched it again a few days ago, it was so good. Not quite as incredible as the first time I saw it, but still awesome. In the same way that classic action flicks from the '80s and early '90s are awesome. Yes, in comparison to today's movies (ignoring the bad writing of many summer blockbusters), the writing in those movies isn't great, but they're still fun. Die Hard is one of the best movies of all time. In my opinion. Compared to Mad Max: Fury Road, the writing is a little lacking. But I still think it holds up.

With some time, and a lot of perspective, I can appreciate The Matrix for what it was when it came out. And now that it's almost 20 years old, I love it for what it is, even if they never released the super-awesome phones everyone carried.

Now if only they'd managed to greenlight a sequel ;).

As sacrilegious as as it sounds, Giles is actually looking forward to the reboot, especially after watching the original. It has a chance of renewing the awesomeness that was The Matrix in the same way that The Force Awakens renewed the awesomeness that is Star Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment