Friday, August 11, 2017

Do you have comfort media? You know, that book or movie or song you always turn to when you're feeling awful? That short story or TV show or podcast that always makes you feel better?

I do. I have a handful:
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine 
  • Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman 
  • How to Train Your Dragon (the movie, though the book is also adorable) 
  • Neil Gaiman's "Make Good Art" speech 
  • Song of the Sea 
  • Final Fantasy XV 
  • Yuri on Ice 
  • "Peace and Love" and "Here Comes a Thought" from Steven Universe

Can I explain why these things are comfort media for me? For some of them, sure. The books have nostalgia factor and cute, uplifting messages. "Make Good Art" is just plain inspiring, and the Steven Universe songs are calming and fun. Yuri on Ice is not only an adorable relationship, but also shows a main character dealing with stress and anxiety and failing, so I can watch it and convince myself that if Yuuri can do it, I can, too.

The rest? No clue. There's just something in that media that speaks to me and soothes me when I need it. Back at my previous job, when I had a really awful day, I would come home and play Final Fantasy XV for hours and actually feel like a human again when I went to bed (admittedly, this was just the first half of the game; the second half is pure pain omg). In college, How to Train Your Dragon got me through finals and losing friends (and I can still quote most of the movie). The lullaby from Song of the Sea still makes me smile and calm down almost immediately, and I'll never get tired of watching that stunning animation.

What about you? What's your comfort media?

Emer is currently considering a reread of Odd and the Frost Giants because she misses it. It's been a while since she read it and it's so cute. She also apologizes for the lack of headshot this week, but her computer and Blogger are super not working together.

No comments:

Post a Comment