Monday, August 7, 2017

Back to School

Today I went to my first day at my new job. Professional development days aren't that exciting for teachers–not when you have to hear some of the same material every year for as long as you've been teaching. But so much of it was new information to me that I couldn't help but feel slightly overwhelmed.

The best part of the day, however, was going into a classroom with my mentor, looking around, and realizing that it was ours. As in, partly mine. We staked our claim on corners in the back of the room and started moving student desks and talking about what to put on the bulletin boards. I placed my office chair and sat down, experimenting with how far I could rotate before I smacked into the desk before me or the filing cabinet behind me. Mine.

I don't know anything about the students I'll have in our classes. I'm not even completely sure how to do everything that needs to get done–much less what I want to get done. But for now I'm excited to have that tiny corner of classroom real estate and an endless string of possibilities in front of me. Will I teach Frankenstein or Fahrenheit 451? Persepolis or Maus? I'm not sure yet. Maybe none of them, maybe all of them. The awesome thing is, I get to share my excitement for the written word with people.

Here's to a challenging and (hopefully) successful year of teacher residency!




Michelle has a feeling this year is going to teach her the value of a caffeine addiction.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking from experience: Caffeine, Fahrenheit 451, caffeine, Maus, and more caffeine.

    ReplyDelete