Monday, July 31, 2017

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Last week I mentioned that I was trying to get through Sarah J. Maas' A Court of Thorns and Roses. I'll admit that it was a tad difficult for me to get into, but once I hit the halfway point, I found myself not being able to read fast enough.

Let's start with the great things. First, I'm a sucker for anything related to Beauty and the Beast. In Maas' story, the Beauty is a huntress and the Beast is a shape-shifting faerie, but the familiar plot is still there. The setting is at once dark and vividly colored–everything from the landscape to the beings in it seem to have more color and life on the faerie side of the world.

Other elements I enjoyed include the story's tone and the side characters. It's possible I loved Lucien (the best friend to the Beast character) more than the protagonist and her ill-fated lover. Maas made every secondary character seem real and full, which is not always the case in many young adult books.

I personally had very few problems with this novel. In the end, it was alluring and I couldn't put it down. In the beginning, however, I considered not finishing. Feyre, the narrator, had so little to recommend herself to me that I didn't care if she died or not. When I finally met Lucien and had a character to look forward to, I read much faster. And then something changed when I was about 40-50% done with the book: Feyre finally had a degree of likeability.

I won't spoil the ending, as it's a great twist on the typical fairy tale–just don't expect happy little rainbows and unicorns to come out of it. Final recommendation: A great read for lovers of Beauty and the Beast, faerie stories, and sassy female protagonists who don't let anything get them down.





Michelle's next book is going to be Winter, the final installment in the Cinder series. She's so excited to drive to work so she can listen to the audiobook!

No comments:

Post a Comment