Monday, June 26, 2017

You Should Be Volunteering

I've grown up either volunteering or being volunteered for things. When I was a kid I thought it was annoying to be required to donate my time and talents, but as an adult, I don't think I could stop if I tried. Last week I volunteered at a kids' camp called Royal Family, an organization that provides camps, clubs, and mentors for kids from foster care. 

I adore this camp. For five days, pairs of adults act as camp counselors to a small group of kids. We do all the typical camp stuff, but there's an underlying purpose of building kids' self esteem and guiding them toward success. It's one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do, but knowing that I helped make some kind of difference in the world is immensely rewarding.

If you've been thinking about volunteering–whether it's as a mentor, at the food bank, or even for an organization like Habitat for Humanity–I say go for it. It can be hard to find the time, but even a couple of hours can change the course of someone's life.

Volunteering lets me share my talents, gets me involved with the community, and helps me contribute great things to society. So many people complain about the world being a terrible, dark, awful place, but too few people do very much about it. We can change the world. All we have to do is find a cause we care about and step up to the challenge.






Michelle is still recovering from camp food and the exhaustion of late nights and early mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment