Friday, June 23, 2017

Fanfic Fun

In high school, I was a fan fiction fanatic. I loved reading it and writing it and hearing about other peoples' ideas for it. I've always been one of those fans who gets entirely too into whatever fandom I'm currently enjoying, and I could never get enough of headcanons and theories and alternate universes and all the other fun things people do in fanfic.

Toward the end of high school or beginning of college, I kind of slid over into the "fan fiction isn't real fiction" camp and shunned everything to do with fanfic. I stopped writing it, I didn't read any of it, I rolled my eyes when someone told me a new chapter had come out on something I had previously enjoyed. Yeah, I turned into a sob. It was a dark time in my fan life.

What's really interesting is that, since I'm on an indefinite hiatus from 'normal' fiction at the moment, I've started back up on fanfic. I don't know if there's a correlation or not, but over the last few weeks, I've been devouring a handful of fics on Archive of Our Own and poking at a goofy one of my own. There's something freeing about not needing to do the worldbuilding or character development in order to tell a story. Plus it's fun to play with someone else's characters for a while, and put your own spin on them.

Long story short, I'm remembering how much fun this side of fandom is, and I'm so glad I got over my silly little snob phase.

What about you? Do you read or write fanfic? What are your favorites?


Emer isn't sure whether or not her current fanfic will ever see the light of day, but it's fun to work on. She's also posting last-minute cosplay tips and a preview of one of her DCC costumes for our patrons over on Patreon. Throw money at our faces so you don't miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment