Monday, May 22, 2017

Review: Anne with an "E"

I have to admit I was hesitant to try watching Netflix's new take on Anne of Green Gables. I grew up with the 1985 miniseries and love it with all my heart. It's hard to jump into a reboot without a grain of salt, so I started watching the series rather hesitantly.

Now that I'm a few episodes in, though, I'm happy to say I'm a huge fan of Anne with an "E". It's charming, and the casting is fantastic. I'm not sure I would say the intended audience has remained the same, but I'm definitely enjoying the series.

One of the things I like best is the use of backstory. The writers went far more in depth to show just how messed up Anne's younger years were. I don't know that I would've loved it (or understood it) as a kid, but having rounder characters and a more intense foundation for Anne's wild imagination is satisfying.

If you've held off watching because you didn't want to poison your love for the original, I would encourage you to give it a try. Anne is just as effervescent as ever, Gilbert is amazing, and Marilla and Matthew are the best. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I am.





Michelle is terrible and has never read the books, but don't worry! She reserved the first of the series at the library and is eagerly waiting its arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment