Wednesday, April 26, 2017

More Big News

So, not only do we get to go to Denver Comic Con this year, and not only are we setting up a Patreon, I also have some pretty awesome personal news. Well, personal for my career.

I'm teaching TWO workshops at RMFW's Colorado Gold conference! I pitched three workshops, and they picked two of them. This is a big deal for me because I've only taught one workshop on my own before. It was at another local con, and a LOT of people showed up. A lot more than I expected, too.

So what am I teaching? I'll be revisiting Podcasting your Platform. I know I've taught this once before, but I can't remember if I taught it a second time. This one will be more focused on writers than the last time (which was aimed at all artists). And I'll also be teaching a Building Your Brand workshop, focusing on using new media to build a brand and a platform all at once.

It'll be exciting to go to a writing conference again. It'll be two years since I went to the last conference, since Beyond the Trope spent all last year at fan conventions rather than craft conferences. It meant I didn't have time or the finances to go to a writing conference. We met a few of our friends at the bar after the Saturday keynote, but I missed getting to spend a whole weekend with writing friends, talking about craft, listening to awesome speakers, and meeting new people.

Giles is also excited about the idea of pitching a book again. And critique groups, maybe? But definitely being at a conference where he can learn rather than work.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting the workshop gigs, they both sound interesting. Does the conference record the workshops?

    I took a look at the conference, a lot of interesting stuff. I know I couldn’t make it to this year’s conference, but someday it would be nice to attend. My wife has been bugging me to have us do something other than a stay-cation. Never been to Colorado, though came close traveling west on I-80. Colorado looked nice from Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if/how they'll be recording it this year since the company that used to do it disbanded.

      It's a fun conference, and if you can ever make it, I do recommend it.

      Delete