Friday, March 17, 2017

Cosplay Perks

One of my favorite things about cosplay is that it often requires you to be super inventive and creative. I mean, anime physics doesn't exactly apply to real life, so how can you possibly create a costume that captures the impossible design?

While my steampunk costume isn't anime-inspired, it still has some pretty unique touches. I had to research a bit of leatherwork to make my new hat band (which includes several cups worth of tea leaves), and I still have to figure out how I want to attach the epaulettes my friend made me (with teaspoons!), which will be a whole other creative endeavor.

In cosplay, there are no limits, except by time and how much effort you want to put in. It's an excuse to learn new skills and be able to show off the results to a bunch of other nerds who will appreciate them. It's a chance to express your love for something in a visual way. And there's something really confidence-boosting about wearing something you made that's totally awesome.

In short, I love cosplaying, and I can't wait to put the finishing touches on this year's steampunk. If I remember and have time, I'll try to post photos on our Facebook page. Otherwise, I'll be wearing it again at DCC, in all likelihood, so come find us to see it.



Emer will be at AnomalyCon all weekend, looking dapper as heck with her burgundy spats and tea hat. Find her and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment