Friday, January 20, 2017

We Need Art

Art is underrated. There's not really two ways about it. With art programs getting cut in schools, museums closed down, and artists of all stripes struggling to make ends meet, it's not hard to see.

It's easy to say, "oh, that's just a story; it doesn't have any impact on my life," or "I have to worry about paying the bills tomorrow instead of enjoying the museum." It's easy to focus on the nitty gritty of life and let the beauty pass us by.

But it's my firm belief that we need art in order to be fulfilled human beings. We need to read fiction and poetry, or sing and dance, or paint, or take photos, or sew, or make jewelry. Or do all of the above, or something else entirely.

We need art of some kind to remind us to live life to the fullest, and to explore new things, and to appreciate what's around us. We need art to show us beauty in dark times, and to make us think, and to sometimes to make us cry.

Art has been at the beginning of civilizations and at the core of revolutions. Art has given people hope and helped them connect to each other in new, unexpected ways. Art has literally saved lives.

So, as Neil Gaiman said, "make good art." Whatever your medium, however you work, make good art. Put something out in the world, even if you don't think it's perfect. Tell your story. Maybe you'll change someone's life, and maybe you won't, but at least you'll have made the world incrementally more beautiful.

Emer is working toward following that advice, too. She's currently beading profanity bracelets for stress relief, gearing up for recording tomorrow, and looking forward to a TGIF beer after her day job.

1 comment:

  1. Well put.

    I was thinking about this today, when I heard "someone" wanted to defund the NEA.

    Someone pointed out that my stories have a thread of justice and exposing prejudice in its many forms. I don't intend them to be that way. Part of it was how I was raised, but I also think comic books had a big influence. I read mostly the campy horror comic books from the 70s. The stories had a theme of the wicked getting their comeuppance. Because of that, I’m a big fan of poetic justice. In a way, these stories gave me hope, when times were rotten.

    "Drink to me, drink to my health. You know I can't drink anymore." –Pablo Picasso

    Enjoy your beer.

    ReplyDelete