Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Small Victory

I reached a small milestone a couple weeks ago: I reached the "word goal" for my WiP. This is a huge deal for me because I haven't gotten this far in a draft in a very long time.

What's even better? I'm not done with the first draft! My last book, the one I'm querying right now, came in at around 62k in the first draft. After SEVERAL revisions, I worked it up to 80k. After that, I fought to finish drafts, and they only reached about 52k-58k, and then I realized the plot kinda sucked, and I had zero interest in revising.

This book is OVER 68k, and I still have at least 5k-8k to go before this draft is finished. I'm going to have a lot of revising to do, but in the end, I think this book is going to come in around 78k by the time I get ready to query.

My plan is to continue to push forward. I'm going to query this book, and the plan is to do that by the end of this year. Then I'll have TWO books that I'm querying!

Small steps, just one at a time. That's how Giles is moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic! I look forward to hearing more about your authorial adventures.

    I finally started writing again this week. Strangely, it was joining Habitica that prompted my BICFOK.

    ReplyDelete