Monday, January 9, 2017

Looking Forward



As the rollercoaster that was Fall/Winter 2016 transitions into a new year, I can’t help but face 2017 with skeptical hope. After all, I’m still dealing with stresses and problems leftover from 2016. While I’m slightly worried that the waves of awfulness won’t stop, I’m trying to be optimistic.

In order to stay positive, I find myself planning a full schedule for the next several months. I know for certain that some things will indeed be better—my bills-paying career, for one, is about to do a complete about-face,  and my writing career is diving head-first into the agonizing limbo of querying. The first change for the better will come at the end of February, when everyone in my office gets laid off.

Things will be better with a new career and querying limbo? What in the world? I laugh at myself and my doublethink, too. Changing careers is going to involve two full years of grad school (one year of which is an unpaid teaching residency in Denver, while the following year will be “regular” teaching). Going back to school is something I’ve wanted to do ever since I earned my bachelor’s degrees. I thought my masters would be in creative writing or linguistics, not education, but hey, life is quirky and surprising, right?

Even though becoming a teacher is going to mean an insane amount of hard work, I’m so excited about this adventure that I don’t care about the obstacles. And when I think about querying and writing, I feel the same. Great things don’t follow on the heels of karma (at least, not in my life), they come from putting my nose to the grindstone.

For those of you who, like me, can only see a year of hard work and obstacles ahead of you, take heart. We aren’t alone, and we have amazing things to look forward to. And if all else fails, remember what the Old Astronomer says:


Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
--Sarah Williams, from “The Old Astronomer”


No fear, friends. Read on. 





Michelle is currently studying for the PRAXIS and is way too excited to learn about logical fallacies and their Latin names.  

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a non sequitur, but your quote reminded me of the following:

    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

    ― Terry Pratchett

    Your quote is more optimistic.

    I've forgotten most of my formal logic, but I still use informal logic when evaluating claims.

    ReplyDelete