Wednesday, January 11, 2017

At Long Last

My new job is awesome. And I mean awesome in that, I'm rarely exhausted at the end of the week despite the fact that I've never worked harder in my life. Don't get me wrong, I do miss my old job, and I'm still kinda surprised with myself for taking this risk. But I don't regret it.

All that to say: I'm finally at a point where I can build a new "routine" for myself. You see, I jumped into this new life position at a crazy-busy time of the year for my new employer. As a result, I've worked hours and hours and hours of overtime pretty much every week since I started. While I haven't been pass-out tired at the end of the day (like a 50 hour work week at my previous job would've been), I haven't had the capacity to think beyond a few simple motions between the front door and the bed at the end of the evening.

More importantly, because of my loooooong hours, I've wanted to try to focus on my relationship with my wife as much as possible, too.

Again, I'm finally in a place, though, where I can make time to write and actually be productive. At long last.

It feels good, too. Which is why I'm looking forward to what this year has in store for me.

It's still weird for Giles to be at this new job, and it hasn't really sunk in yet that this is where he is full time. It's not bad at all, but it's taking time to set in as reality rather than the weirdest vacation of his life.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see you are enjoying this new phase in your life. It has been a long time since I worked a physically demanding job. I`ve been working a desk job for nearly three decades, more and more it leaves me mentally fatigued. My imagination is still at work as I am jotting down story notes left and right. However, I have yet to write any fiction since spring of last year (unless you count a couple of checks).

    ReplyDelete