Monday, November 7, 2016

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies



I love Pride and Prejudice. LOVE. I consume it in any form, be it film or short story or novel or what-have-you. So, when I recently came across the movie Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I wasn't sure what to do. Watch it and be disappointed? Leave it and forever wonder?

For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, a few years ago someone convinced a publishing company to let him write a retelling of P&P…with zombies. The Bennet sisters are trained to kill the monsters, and Darcy is a zombie hunter. The whole of the plot is accented (and often changed) by the appearance of the undead. I read the book in 2010 and found it to be utterly hilarious.

Fast forward to a cool Colorado evening in 2016. My youngest sister and I stood in front of a Red Box machine, my finger poised over the “Add” button.


“It’s going to be terrible,” I said.
“Probably.”
“Really, really terrible.”
“Let’s get it.”


Now I can give you the official verdict: WATCH THIS MOVIE. I love Jane Austen, and I don’t mind a bit of violence in my movies, so it could be that this was simply my perfect storm. The dialogue was just what you want from an Austen-based film, and the fight scenes were spectacular. That part when Darcy proposes, and Lizzie gets mad at him for being such a snob? FIGHT SCENE. That romantic dance during the ball? FIGHT SCENE. Traipsing through—FIGHT SCENE.

Of course you shouldn’t expect this to be the very height of masterful screenwriting, but what zombie movie is*? I love what they do with Lady Catherine’s character, and Lily James made a spectacular action-movie Elizabeth. It has all the classic elements we love, such as a cringe-worthy Mr. Collins and a detestable Mr. Wickham. They even gave Mary some really fun opportunities.

I know I’m gushing, but I’m dead serious. This movie surprised me with awesomeness, and I don’t want you to miss out. 






Michelle spent her day ignoring her Pitch Wars entry page by grading French homework and beginning her applications to grad school. Yay!



*I will only accept Shawn of the Dead as an answer. Period.

1 comment:

  1. I read “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” a few years back. As I had never read “Pride and Prejudice”, I read the original first and then the zombified version. I did find PPZ to be a lot of fun and added a spin to the story; however, I did have some ambivalence about the book. I think it may have been too much regency in one sitting, it was my first foray into the genre. The movie is on my watch list.

    As to “Shaun of the Dead”, it is one of my favorite zombie films. I also enjoyed “Fido”.

    Not strictly, a zombie movie, but pretty close to it is a Canadian indie film “Pontypool, it offers an interesting spin on source of the infection.

    ReplyDelete