Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Is NaNoWriMo Right for YOU?

This week on the podcast, I shared some pages from the one and only time I participated in NaNoWriMo. I've mentioned NaNoWriMo every year, and that's because, in large part, I don't participate. This year is no different for the same reason as every other year I've held back: I already have a project I'm working on.

What about you, though, good listeners and readers? Should YOU try NaNoWriMo this year? Well, maybe, but it depends on a few things. Let's ask a few discerning questions and find out:

1. Have you ever wanted to write a novel but never made the time (notice I don't say "have" the time, because writers MAKE time, everyone else makes EXCUSES)?

2. Are you currently looking for a project?

3. Will you EDIT it before sending it to publishers or agents?

4. Do you enjoy crippling self-doubt and a constant fear of failure?

If you answered yes to all of those, then NaNoWriMo could be right for you. But if you answered no to ANY of those questions, well, maybe November holds other options for you.

NaNoWriMo was an excellent learning experience for Giles, but he's not sure if he'll participate again since he's constantly working on projects, especially in the middle of November.

1 comment:

  1. In 2000, my wife found a stash of floppies with short stories and a few nascent novels, I had written in the late 1900s. She told me about this NaNoWriMo thing, I reluctantly I agreed to give it a try. Turned out the challenge helped me develop the required discipline to write on a schedule. I also proved to myself, that I could finish something. My first go was a success. I did it five more times, with a few years off. I haven’t tried it since 2012. The last couple of years I’ve participated in the April & July Camp NaNoWriMos. I find them to be a little less intense and involve a little more socialization, something I normally don’t do, but should.

    ReplyDelete