Thursday, October 20, 2016

And now for something completely different!

So, I don’t have a review for you this week. Why? Because the creepy book I was hoping for at the end of last week’s review just showed up on Tuesday. While I am a pretty fast reader, I’m not a speed reader by any means. Also, I’m kind of weird. I like to read books slowly and actually enjoy the story.

So, instead of a review, I thought I would share a portion of my TBR (to be read) list. Most everyone I know has a TBR list and they can be rather daunting. In fact, the other day I saw an online calculator that will tell you exactly how long it will take you to finish your list. Apparently, it’s going to take me a very long time. 

My list is a collection of books that have been recommended to me by friends, or it could be by an author that I already enjoy, or it may just have a pretty cover. (Yes, I can be that person. Sorry, not sorry.) Above all, does the book blurb pique my curiosity? 

So, without further ado, here is my illustrious TBR list, and why the book made it onto the list! (Disclaimer: This list is in no particular order. In fact, I have purposefully placed it in alphabetical order just for my own sanity.)

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray - There’s a girl in a corset on the cover and the blurb intrigued me.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - My mommy said I should read it. I listen to my mommy.

Arabella of Mars by David D. Levine - Space, automatons, and London. Enough said. 

A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir - I really liked An Ember in the Ashes. I’m hoping the sequel will be just as good.

The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde - I LOVE Jasper Fforde’s writing. One of my all time favorite book is The Eyre Affair.

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey - I really enjoyed The 5th Wave and I’m starting to be a braver reader. We’ll see how this one goes.

Newt’s Emerald by Garth Nix - This one came recommended by a friend at work. I read Shade’s Children a long time ago and remember liking it.

Persuasion by Jane Austen - As much as I love Pride and Prejudice, you’d think I would have read all of Austen’s other works. I haven’t. Must rectify this mistake.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - Michelle said so.

Ridiculous by D.L. Carter - Gail Carriger recommended this one on her blog a while back. I like the idea of a Regency era comedy.

Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco - When James Patterson starts his own publishing imprint and chooses this book as his first, my ears tend to perk up. When the main character is going against societal norms to become a forensic scientist in Victorian England? Even better.

So, hurray for TBR lists! Bring on more books!


Emily is currently reading Stalking Jack the Ripper. She’ll have a review of it for you next week. Did anyone play the Beyond the Trope drinking game while reading this review? If you’re not sure how to play, keep your ears open in the next few weeks for the rules!

1 comment:

  1. That’s quite the list. “Stalking Jack the Ripper” sounds right up my alley. My wife and I watched the single season of “Houdini & Doyle” on Fox. This was a Victorian mystery show, with a fictionalized Harry Houdini, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and a Scotland Yard’s first female detective solving the cases. We are hoping one of the streaming services continues the series, but it seems unlikely.

    ReplyDelete