Friday, September 30, 2016

Better Than You Think

You know the saying "we're our own worst enemy," right? For creative people, I think it's probably one of the truest sayings there is. Well, for me, at least.

I have this bad habit of kind of hating everything I produce. I enjoy making it, and I always think it has potential, but the minute I send pages to my critique group, I start anticipating the notes I'll get back and start picking it apart way further than my critique partners ever do.

Michelle knows how intense I get about this. Just yesterday before group, I was texting her about how much I wanted to burn the pages I'd sent for critique. I didn't think any of the jokes worked. I knew my characters' reactions and emotions weren't written out well. I was convinced I'd spent entirely too much time describing the magical uniforms. I thought my voice had slipped and gotten weird. Basically, I thought it was an absolute mess.

Critique pointed out some of the issues I'd seen, but thought others worked all right. Overall, they actually really liked my pages and thought they were about 70% to amazing. Which is a lot closer than the 20% I felt like they were.

Which really just is another reason for a critique group: they can not only help find flaws you skated over, but they can also help bolster you when you want to quit. They can point out the amazing things you forgot about, or purposefully ignored.

And, really, other creative friends can remind you to stop being so hard on yourself. We see the flaws in our work more intensely than others because we spend so much time with it. But sometimes it's a good plan to just take a step back, breathe, and remind yourself that it's probably not as bad as you think it is.
 

Emer is enjoying a cup of green tea and gearing up for recording this weekend. She's also decorated her work computer with Steven Universe blind box figures. Because she can.

No comments:

Post a Comment