Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Slow Return

I'm getting up earlier. It's something I used to do, back when I was writing the first really GOOD book that I worked on. It's important to MAKE time to write, because when I'm not working my day job, I feel like I have so many distractions to keep me from getting my story down.

It's a good feeling, though. As tired as I am at 5:30 am, I can sit down with a cup of coffee, my bowl of breakfast cereal, and my current writing playlist. I'm about 10k into this new book. I'd gotten almost 25k in before I hit a wall, so I decided to outline and then "start over," which means I'm making SERIOUS progress so far. I'm exciting about this project because it feels different, it's unique, and most importantly, it's fun.

I'm also querying again. On Monday, I sent out my first query in over a year (May of 2015 is when the LAST query went out). With the rollercoaster that I'd been dealing with in my personal/work/school life, I let that part of my writing lapse quite a bit. Trying to find my voice again didn't help since it's been such a struggle to get back into crafting stories after this project that I'm querying. I love that project, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't come up with characters or a world that I could engage with as well. But now I have, and I need to focus on making both querying AND drafting a priority.

So that's what I'm doing. I can't guarantee that I'll keep up with this particular schedule, but I'm committing to hitting my word goal every day. It's why I've written nearly 4k in the last three days (not a TON compared to other writers I know, but MUCH better than my 250 per day goal from a year ago). I'm going to move toward the 5 open queries at a time goal, too, but that takes a lot of research, making it a different kind of challenge.

This is a slow return to my routine from four years ago. And I'm excited because it means I'm back at it. I feel like I'm at home with my writing career again, and while the "ghosts" of my slump are still trying to haunt me, they won't keep me from finishing projects. Or pushing my career forward.

Giles believes in taking his time to get projects done correctly. It's the best way to keep himself from burning out or making poor decisions.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! I need to get back into a schedule. I haven’t worked on anything in quite a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete