Friday, July 1, 2016

Self Care in Writing Take...Something

It has been a totally crazy week for me. Between day job stress, friend drama, my computer charger breaking (and subsequently leaving me computer-less for a day and a half until I could get a new one), applying for new health insurance, launching an Etsy store, and trying not to melt in the summer heat, I've been reminded of the whole "take care of yourself" thing I've written about here a lot. Because it's important. And we, especially creative people who are scrambling to make ends meet, tend to have a problem with forgetting it.

Julia Cameron talks about Artist Dates and filling up our creative well in The Artist's Way. The general idea is to pick something fun, exciting, out of your comfort zone just a little, and completely unrelated to working on your projects, then go do it by yourself and let your creative juices get recharged. I'll be honest, I haven't really gone on one of these in ages, but I always enjoy it when I do. Our group mini-retreat to Estes Park last Saturday was probably the closest I've gotten in months, and that still involved getting words on the page.

With all the craziness in my normal life, I think I need an Artist Date. My creative well, so to speak, is running a little dry. I'm getting words on the page, but they're not funny, and it's torturous to get them out, even though I still love the story I'm working on. Some time to get away from everything and recharge is probably needed.

So, I'm challenging you to take stock of your creative resources right now. Do you need to take a few hours or a day and go treat yourself to something to recharge? Schedule it in now and make sure you do it! It's so important!


Emily is heading to the Renaissance Festival with friends tomorrow. While it doesn't completely fit into the definition of an Artist Date, she's totally going to count it and hope it helps a little bit. She'll try to have a more original and fun blog post for you next week. In the meantime, find her on Twitter @EmilyKSinger, or on her new, mostly empty Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment