Friday, July 29, 2016

Ghostbusters Review (Spoiler Free)

Last week, I blogged about reboots even though I hadn't seen the biggest reboot of the summer: Ghostbusters. Now I have. And I absolutely loved it. It's been a long time since I walked away from a movie so incredibly thrilled and excited about it.

As a fan of the original movie as well, I can say that the reboot was nothing like I was expecting--in the best possible way. From the previews, I was kind of expecting the same storyline with different characters, but that isn't the case at all. While there are some fantastic nods to the original movie, this one is different enough that it didn't feel like I was just re-watching the same plot. I mean, there are ghosts and the Ghostbusters squad has to get together, but the villain is different, the characters' personalities are different, and it's (obviously) been updated for a more modern feel.

Some of my personal highlights:

  • Holtzmann. Just everything about Holtzmann. She's kind of my new personal hero. I want to be Holtzmann when I grow up. 
  • All the cameos and nods to the original. I'm pretty sure I need to re-watch it to make sure I caught all of them. 
  • Clueless Chris Hemsworth. 
  • How different and unique each of the ladies were--in personality and appearance--and how it was never a big deal (you know, how most female characters in movies are at some point subjected to a makeover or a comment about their appearance or something? That never happened. It was great). 
  • The fact that these are actually the kind of characters I think of when we talk about strong female characters--they each had the agency to make their own decisions and take action, and all of them had their own unique strengths and weaknesses. 
  • Sigourney Weaver. -Fangirl squeal-
  • The humor was pretty much right in line with the original: sometimes dry and witty and sometimes slapstick-y, with a pretty great balance. 
Obviously, it wasn't completely perfect (nothing is), and I think the film could have improved on some things, particularly it's treatment of Patty's character in a few specific scenes. But overall, I think the new Ghostbusters is utterly fantastic. And strangely groundbreaking with its treatment of four female protagonists who--gasp--don't have an overt romantic arc (okay, sorry, one spoiler I couldn't resist), and are really the heroes of their own story. 

My overall rating: 9.5/10 


Emily is adjusting to a new day job (she's a big girl now), and is just really, really excited about this movie, so she's really hoping this is all coherent. She's sorry if it isn't, but you'll just have to deal with it. Like the White Lotus dealing with the fact that Korra is the Avatar. Just a fact of life. 

1 comment:

  1. A convincing review, if possible I'll try to make to the theater.

    ReplyDelete