Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Focus and Redirection

Today I had planned on writing a game review, but that's going to have to wait another week so I can finish the game. It's fitting, though, because we're releasing an interview with someone from the company that released this game next Tuesday.

The reason I couldn't finish this game yet (and why I didn't post last week) is because my day job got SUPER busy. This means I've had to redirect my focus in day-to-day projects. Last Wednesday, for example, I had to focus on my job. For a near-12-hour day. I barely had energy to spend time with my wife that day, let alone put together coherent thoughts for readers. So I did what I needed to do as a (hopefully) good husband and reserved as much energy as I could for my wife.

This week is very much the same, except that I'm not working as many hours. Still, there's a lot that I need to stay focused on. Redirecting my energy to the most critical deadlines means editing podcast episodes, reading for critique group (when I'm not at work), and then gaming after. Unlike my "standard" gaming routine, I'm focusing on this project because I promised a review for this game. Not necessarily on a deadline, but because we interviewed the gentleman—and I'm exciting about that!—I'm imposing a deadline on myself so that the review comes out the same time as his episode.

Now, since I've rambled on for a couple of paragraphs, I'm going to ask one simple question: How do you handle redirection when it's time to focus on projects?

Let's discuss in the comments.

Giles is exciting for a lot of things, especially a possible future of working with this game developer for more podcast awesomeness that will help promote their games for a new audience. And he's excited to have a blog post (however short) up on the site again.

1 comment:

  1. From the title, I thought maybe you had taken up as a stage magician. Being an illusionist isn’t too far from writing fiction.

    I am a creature of routine and never handle change well. However, twenty-seven years as a civil servant, I am always having my attention pulled in way too many directions. I get the important things done, but balance with looking out for my own wellbeing as well as time for my loved ones. Sadly, writing is usually the one thing that gets pushed to the back burner.

    You've piqued my curiosity. Looking forward to the game developer interview and game review.

    ReplyDelete