Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Pitching

This is a well-covered topic, so I'm going to keep this post brief. Pitching is hard work. Any time a creator goes into the world to convince someone that there's value in their work, they're putting a part of themselves on display.

I believe very strongly in separating myself from my writing. It is not WHO I am, it is something that I do. I'm passionate about it, sure, but when my work is rejected, it's ONLY my work that is rejected, not me.

That doesn't make pitching any easier. Especially in the early days. To be honest, I've spent a lot of time not pitching. Not because I lack confidence in my work, but because I'm still learning how to pitch it well. This is why it's important to ask for help.

A member of our critique group is an employee of a literary agency, and part of his job includes reading the slush pile. He was kind enough to sit down with me for two hours a few weeks back to go line by line through my query. And when I say "line by line," I mean he sat there while I wrote a query letter, then helped me revise it, then rerevise it, then go over it one more time. For two hours. It was valuable insight, and while it doesn't necessarily get me closer to the next step in my path to publication, it gave me confidence in my pitch. Because I asked for help.

So my advice is that, if you're getting ready to pitch a project, ask for help. Either through one of the pitch contests we talked about in this week's episode, or by talking with someone who has experience with pitching.

Giles is still learning a lot, and that includes how to pitch well. He's also prepping for Denver Comic Con next week, which leaves him a little distracted. Hence the shorter, but still relevant, post.

No comments:

Post a Comment