Friday, June 3, 2016

Mid-Year Goal Revisit

It's June. That means we're halfway through the year. Which means it's totally time to revisit the goals we made at the beginning of the year. [Insert hysterical laughter here.]

I originally wanted to have a short story submitted, my short story "Glitter Bomb" published, a novel draft finished, and another half a novel done by now. Because, you know, I have ambition problems. If you know me off the interwebs at all, you probably know this has not happened.

The short story I wanted to submit still needs at least one more round of edits, but the magazine I was writing it for shut down, so urgency isn't really a thing with it any more.

"Glitter Bomb" is still getting published...eventually. I was told the anthology it's in would be out in July, but it looks like it's getting pushed back for a fall release (hopefully).

The draft of the novel (a steampunk) I wanted to have finished stalled out at chapter three after 25,000 words of pantsing and then a month and a half of planning based on what I'd come up with.

The second novel (a cyberpunk dystopian) I was planning on working on has been replaced with a comedy that I'm slowly picking away at (there's no way I'll have a decent draft by July 1, which was the original goal).

And, you know what? It's okay. It's okay that I didn't hit any of my original goals. Life happens, my priorities shifted temporarily, and I'm getting back on the horse, so to speak. There's no point beating ourselves up about goals or resolutions we didn't hit. What matters is that we try to figure out what happened to derail us (in my case, stress, procrastination, not giving myself time, etc.) and how we can fix that moving forward.

How are you doing on whatever goals or resolutions you set at the beginning of the year? Let me know and we can cheerlead each other!


Emily is totally planning on spending this afternoon doing nothing but writing and, hopefully, making people stare because she's laughing to herself. Since, you know, she's writing a comedy. You'd think she could make this bio funnier. Oh, well.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, goals are for building plans around, not for betting the house on! My goal this year is 150 pages, so far I'm at 48/66 for that goal... ouch. I keep telling myself when I get back from my trip I'll get back on track...

    ReplyDelete