Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Lessons Learned

It isn't often that we here at Beyond the Trope do something SO terrible that we have to throw it out. I mean, come on. Recently it was pointed out to us that, when talking about the literary device known as Chekov's Gun, one of us (probably me) called it Pavlov's Gun. When we brought up that email on the show, we used it as an opportunity to have fun at our own expense. As far as I'm concerned, it made for an entertaining segment. And, let's face it, that's funny.

Mistakes are opportunities to learn, to move forward with new perspectives, and sometimes a chance to smile in humble acceptance of our own fallibility. But on Saturday, we recorded 15 minutes of audio that was SO terrible that I deleted it. I had to. It wasn't even a conversation or an episode, really. Just three people trying to put together at least one complete thought that could get posted to our feed.

What came out was bad. Not a minor mistake worth using as an example for our listeners, but a painful, cringe-worthy disaster that hurt so badly that I was about to insist on getting BOTH of my illustrious co-hosts to listen to it before I posted it (I'm currently the only one listening to every episode for quality control). I needed all of us to agree that it was up to our standards. Before I could open my mouth to say that, though, Michelle spoke up and said we couldn't post it. When Emily agreed, I deleted the audio, emptied the trash, and moved on. Short of hiring a hacker to pull the ones and zeroes out of my hard drive to rebuild the file, it's gone.

We may record the topic at some point in the future, but what I learned that day is that, even when we're prepared for a discussion on a particular topic, there's a chance that it's not deep enough for us to record a conversation about it. We'll keep the event in mind as we plan for our future, too, but for now, we'll just have to live with the fact that we utterly FAILED at something in a way that was so painful, we unanimously agreed that it was utter garbage.

Giles doesn't like remembering that painful incident, but it's an opportunity to learn. And it creates fodder for his WiP.

1 comment:

  1. My family and I often commit hilarious malapropisms and spoonerisms. We all rib each other in a good-natured way; none of us would be intentionally cruel.

    A major reason I love your podcast is the informality. It is like hanging out with a bunch of smart and witty friends, all of us trying to find our way in the writing world. Your sharing of the ups and downs is always inspiring. I always come away with new information and encouragement to keep plugging away.

    By the way, I’ve taken up the challenge of a short story based on Pavlov’s Gun. If I ever manage to get it finished and polished up a bit, I’ll share it.

    ReplyDelete