Monday, May 30, 2016

Beauty and the Beast is Coming!

They say there's nothing new under the sun, but that doesn't always turn out to be a bad thing. Take Disney's decision to turn their princess movies into live-action films--brilliant.

I'm sure there are people who disagree with me, but I don't care. Disney says "Original animated features with live actors" and the part of me that is still in third grade responds, "ERMAHGERD YAAASSS."

I’m excited for this movie, not just because I love the casting, but because of the hope the recent live-action Cinderella gave me. I was always a Belle and Ariel kind of girl, so the announcement of a new Cinderella movie didn’t get my heart racing. I thought it would be cute and fun, but not much more.

And then... it turned out to be one of my favorite movies. I know adorable princess stories aren’t for everyone, but the depth the studio added to the story was fantastic. I loved seeing the relationship the prince had with his father, as well as a few better reasons for Cinderella to stick with her evil stepmother and stepsisters.

Knowing what they did with Cinderella makes me even more excited for Beauty and the Beast. It also worries me. I love the story of Beauty and the Beast. I don’t care whether it’s the Disney animated film or the 1946 French film. Robin McKinley loves the tale so much she wrote two versions in novel form (and I love both of them). Beauty has gotten me through every crappy life situation since I first picked it up. When relationships go sour and my career heads toward the drain, I pick up Beauty*.

You can understand why I’m a little nervous to see what they’re going to do with one of my all-time favorite characters. I mean, I even look like her, you guys. Come on. 

The music from the trailer gave me goosebumps. The castle looks gorgeous. Emma Watson’s is brilliant and classy and the perfect pick for this part. I am worried that the screenplay won’t match my imagination. I’m worried I won’t love it as much as I loved Cinderella simply because I have so much more at stake…


How do you feel about Disney remaking their classic animated films as live-action movies?




Little Michelle used to dress up in a bright blue poodle skirt and white blouse to watch Beauty and the Beast. She can still sing along with every song. 
You can find Michelle here on Mondays, or on Twitter almost every other day as @redactionaire. 



*I also love Spindle’s End. Really just anything Robin McKinley writes. She’s wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment