Friday, April 1, 2016

Breathing is Nice

I'm writing this post as a reminder to myself as much as anything. We as creative people have to remember to breathe. Giles wrote on Wednesday that he's taking up a new project. Michelle is worrying over the ending of her book. I had hoped to have a rough draft of a novel by now, but instead I have a short story without the content call I was writing it for (the magazine shut down while I was working on it), a half-finished comic pitch due first thing next week, and three and a half chapters on the novel.

I think when you're creative, there's a tendency to take on too much or obsess over things until you're stressed out. And, while sometimes more than one project can be a good thing, it's important to take a step back and breathe. Give yourself the space to just exist for a few minutes. Constantly going and hitting the ground hard is only going to burn you out eventually. There has to be a balance between "butt in chair, fingers on keyboard" and "I'm going to stay in bed all day and not face the world." That balance looks different for everyone, but it's still an important thing.

So here's your reminder to breathe and take a break when you start feeling overwhelmed. It's okay. I promise.


Emily is working on breathing and taking things one piece at a time. It's not easy, but it's better than walking around in an overwhelmed daze all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate, I have a few project on the front burner. I was sick, so now I'm behind on my day job. Writing time has suffered.

    ReplyDelete