Friday, April 8, 2016

Being Creative Outside Writing

You know that time when you would rather do almost anything other than write? I'm kind of in that place right now. I have stories I need to write and finish, but I'm just having trouble getting myself motivated to work on them.

I'd much rather be doing something more tactile right now. I've been playing around with jewelry making since AnomalyCon (when I made a bracelet out of gear charms and jump rings, and a matching collar on a piece of a ribbon), and that's been fun. There's something refreshing about working with my hands and creating something three-dimensional instead of just a bunch of words on a page.

Don't get me wrong, it's also satisfying to look back a polished story and realize that you wrote it and it's fun to read. But sometimes that just isn't enough to sate the creative thirst, I guess. Sometimes I (and I know other writers who do this, too) need to add in a bit of something else, some other medium entirely, to sort of replenish the desire the create.

What other creative hobbies do you have outside your main one, whether that's writing or not? I'm always looking for new things to try and I'd love to hear your ideas!

Emily has quite a few random craft supplies lying around from her various dabbling eras. So far she's tried digital photography, acrylic painting, papercrafts, and jewelry making. Next on the list, she'd like to explore baking, metal stamping or wood burning, and some sort of sculpture. She might have a creative commitment problem.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about getting back into woodworking. I've been studying the furnishings that appear in different video games. I thought it would be fun to make the imagined into reality.

    Otherwise, my creative pursuits are culinary related.

    ReplyDelete