Monday, March 7, 2016

New Book, New Playlist

Many evenings when I get home from work (aka staring at a computer screen for 8+ hours), the last thing I want to do is sit in front of yet another computer screen. That’s when I turn to my handy-dandy manuscript playlist. Music helps set the mood when I know I need to write, but I can’t get my head in the game.

Here’s the *unordered* playlist I’m working on for my new story*:

“Alone Together” – Fallout Boy“Renegades” – X Ambassadors“I Bet My Life” – Imagine Dragons“Hall of Fame” – The Script“Fixin’” – Walk the Moon“Titanium” – David Guetta“Shake it Out” – Florence and the Machine“Secrets” – OneRepublic“The Best is Yet to Come” – Sheppard“Fight Song” – Rachel Platten“It’s Time” – Imagine Dragons“Halo” – The Pass“Counting Stars” – OneRepublic“Blow” (Deconstructed) – Ke$ha“Burn” – Ellie Goulding

Apparently this book has a thing for Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic. Actually, all my book playlists have a thing for Imagine Dragons. They’re just so good. It’s fun to listen to songs and find some that seem to represent the book as a whole (like “Fight Song”, “I Bet My Life”, and “Blow”) and some that are for certain characters or scenes.  Sometimes a friend will suggest a song to me – something I never would’ve considered, and it makes the list even better.

What kind of music helps define your projects?





Michelle thinks 3-day weekends should be a part of the standard workweek, so she can actually get writing and relaxing and real-life responsibilities done. #amiright??





*Which is a YA sci-fi currently called SUPERNOVA, by-the-by :D 

2 comments:

  1. Nice playlist.

    I don't usually have a playlist for a project, but I do have specific music that signals I am in writing mode. A friend from South Africa, who is a horror writer, turned me on to a group called Infected Mushroom. It isn't everyone's cup of tea (a LSD laced cup of tea) but it helps drown out the distractions and scares away neighbors.

    New projects are so exciting, good luck & happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks :) I listen to Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke tracks so often other people must think I write anime scripts. His music is always a trigger for intense writing in my case.

      Delete