Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Keep It Going!

Two and a half weeks ago, my car got stolen. I've never had this happen, and it was quite an odd experience. "Odd, you say?" I hear you thinking. "Shouldn't you be pissed? Feel violated? 'Odd' is such a mild word."

Well, yes, all of that is true. And the reason it's odd is because I went an entire week without freaking out. My insurance coverage is good enough to take care of a rental for me, which means I didn't have to "figure something out," and on the day it happened, my wife was off work, meaning I had a ride to get to work that day. All of those things you asked about, I felt them when I finally saw my car in impound (it got recovered and towed to a county facility).

Even still, dealing with missed work (about an hour and a half, maybe two hours total over one week), the stress of not knowing if it would be considered totaled (the body was in great shape, but car thieves are NOT notorious for how well they take care of the car's innards), I managed to keep my WRITING momentum going.

Honestly, I don't know how, aside from the Grace of God (not to be too cheesy). You see, ANY interruption in my routine makes me freak out. To an extent, I am obsessive-compulsive.  Having my car stolen should've shut me down creatively, or spurred me to write some very unusual and dark stuff. But that didn't happen. I got to continue writing my FUN, exciting book.

My challenge to you is this: don't let the world around you determine whether or not you'll pursue success. Yes, there are a LOT of things outside of your control. But as far as you DO have control, keep doing whatever you were doing. Adapt, shift perspective, and take time to recover whenever necessary, but don't let it cripple you. I'm going to try to do the same. It's a lesson I learned through all of this.

Giles is alive and well. He's been pursuing his dream, perhaps differently than imagined years ago, but he hasn't given up, no matter what life's thrown at him.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a good perspective of things. I have looked at most experiences (good or bad) as fodder for writing. There’s nothing like firsthand experience to add a bit of authenticity to your prose. That said, I hope your car returns safe and sound or at least the police catch the bums who boosted your ride.

    ReplyDelete