Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Juggling Projects

I'm at a point in my writing where I'm easily distracted. Case-in-point? I've tried to come up with at least six different ideas for my blog post today.

Finally, though, I've come up with an idea. For a book. Yes, another book. And, as much as I love my idea, I'm loving my current WiP.

Well, love is an accurate word, but not the whole truth. I'm kinda stuck. I wrote myself into a corner, and I'm not sure how to get out of it. Yet.

My solution? I'm going to jump between projects. When I get stuck in one, I'll move to the other. Back and forth, back and forth, until I have two complete manuscripts. Will this work? Or will I write two mediocre books at the same time?

Only time will tell. However, I'm aware of my limits. I'm also capable of looking at a project and discerning when it's a lost cause. So basically, I'm going to fiddle around with these two ideas until one of them stands out as the project that will "work." This isn't a choice I make lightly, either. I like to work on one project at a time. Focus on it, dedicate a full year to making it the best it can be.

However, getting stuck in my current project makes it hard to push forward. I don't want to give up on it, so I need something to keep my creative juices flowing. What better than another project that's totally different from the first?

We'll see how this works out, and I can assure you that it's the only kind of juggling I'll engage in.

This last weekend, Giles taught a workshop on podcasting for artists. It went well, despite the fact that he's been sick and exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment