Friday, January 15, 2016

The Slump

I'll be honest--this has not been a good writing week for me. Last week, I was totally gung-ho about working toward my writing goals, getting stories out into the world, all that jazz. This week? It's been a chore to sit down and pound out my 1,000 words a day.

My novel in progress is stalling out at around 26,000 words right now, mostly because I suddenly have four antagonists and no real good grip on plot or stakes or why my protagonist is actually involved in any of this.

I sent a short story to critique group last night and realized it was way worse than I thought it was--salvageable, but I've been staring at it for two hours now trying to figure out how I want to fix everything. Again, a problem with plot and creating good stakes for my characters. Apparently a pretty common issue in rough drafts of my stories. Whoops.

But I'm determined not to let this get me down. I'm going to push through and finish these projects. For the novel, I'm going to try going back and planning (I know, shocker). For the short, I'm brainstorming and looking at character sketches to try and solidify some better stakes and consequences. It's going to be a lot of work and I kind of want to curl in a corner and cry, but that's pretty typical of my writing process, so I guess that means it's going well.

I guess the moral of this woeful tale is to not let setbacks get you down, especially in the creative world. Keep trying to find ways around them, utilize the community you have, and keep on keeping on.


Emily is looking forward to our first recording day of the year tomorrow--and getting some time away from her projects. But for the meantime, it's back to the grindstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment