Friday, December 11, 2015

Ambitious Goals for 2016--Eek!

This past week, I started considering goals and resolutions for 2016 (holy cow, it's almost here, guys). I'm being super-ambitious this year; I want to finish two full novel rough drafts (both already kind of in progress), at least two short stories for submission, and a second draft of one of the WiP novels. At least, that's what I'm starting out with.

And, let me tell you, looking at it written down, I'm wondering what the heck I'm thinking. I've had trouble finishing a single novel in two years, why do I think I can pound out two books in one year? Honestly, I'm worried that I won't be able to make it. But I'm dang well going to try anyway.

That's the point of goals, isn't it? To stretch you and push you out of your comfort zone and kick your butt into moving toward your dreams? At least, that's what I'm telling myself!

Basically, I'm sick of letting myself set mediocre goals and then coming up with excuses not to meet them. At least this way, if I fail, I'm failing doing something ambitious and difficult. And there's a weird sense of motivation that comes from looking at hard goals and feeling slightly overwhelmed--but just slightly; there's a fine line between motivating-overwhelm and crushing-overwhelm, at least for me.

And now that I've written this blog post about it, I'm publicly accountable, too. Double-whammy!

Have you started thinking about your goals for next year? Let me know if you're on the crazy-train with me!


Emily will also be chronicling working toward these goals on her personal blog (emilykaysinger.com) and Twitter. You know, in case you want to cheer her on or wait for the epic fail she's going to try really hard to avoid.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't set the goals yet. I'm sure it'll involve a short story or two, which I suck at. And writing and publishing book 2 of A Griffin Scorned. I will be at AnomalyCon. Maybe some poetry, though I suck with the poetry.

    ReplyDelete