Friday, November 13, 2015

Writing, Emotional Balance, and You

This week has been a ball of frustrations, time sucks, and worry for me. I won't mention why, because a lot of it isn't my story to tell, but it did make me realize (again) that I really don't get any writing done when I'm emotionally upset. And I'm pretty dang sure I'm not the only one.

Most people have to be in a good mindset to get creative. When we're feeling frustrated or irritated or tired or worried about something else, it's really hard to focus on getting words on the page. Really, really hard. How can you possibly get into a character's head if your brain is worried about a friend in the hospital or fuming about that jerk that hit your car in the parking lot?

On the other hand, a lot of people use "I'm not in the right mindset" to avoid being creative at all. There is a certain point where we have to put on our big kid panties and force ourselves to sit down and write. It's not fun, and it's hard, but sometimes that's what we have to do.

There's a fine line between genuinely being so upset that you can't work and using it as an excuse. I'm not sure where that line is for you, but I know I abuse it sometimes. And that's okay--sometimes. We all need a break now and then and if life is overwhelming, that might be a good time to take one. Just make sure you don't continue finding excuses not to write or create and that you get back on the horse soon!


Emily has had one of those weeks where all she wants to do is hide under the blankets and watch romantic comedies or goofy anime. But she wrote this blog and is going to write more later. Probably with a comforting cup of tea. Because tea is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment