Friday, November 20, 2015

Accomplishments in 2015

Can I just say: holy cow, it's almost the end of the year?!

For the last several weeks, I've been feeling like I haven't accomplished anything with regards to my writing this year. This morning, I realized that's not true. Sure, I don't have a novel finished, but that doesn't mean I haven't done anything. As a matter of fact, this year I:
  • Wrote two short stories and submitted them to anthologies 
  • Wrote another short story that was submitted to a magazine (and needs to be submitted elsewhere) 
  • Wrote 13,000 words on the beginning of a new novel 
  • Figured out how I want to brand myself as an author moving forward (though I still need to decide how to implement that) 
  • Regained the rights to my first short story, "Colfax Kitsune," and started considering self-publishing it as a stand-alone piece, or with its sequel short story (depending on the results of the anthology the second one is submitted to) 
  • Met some amazing people, both within and outside of the writing community
  • Got encouraged by Neil Gaiman and James McBride 
  • Co-taught the "Writing the Basics of Queer Characters" workshop twice 
  • Co-taught the "Tropes 101" workshop twice 
  • Wrote my first humorous story that actually made people laugh and (assuming this anthology doesn't turn around and hate it) will be my first paid piece of fiction
It's funny how all of this kind of felt like nothing in the face of every day life, since none of it really happened in a single day (except the encouragement bits). And I think that's kind of a problem some creative types have: we look at our accomplishments and dismiss them because they don't seem "big" enough or "important" enough, or we've forgotten about the little things that went into the "big" accomplishments.

Moving into the holiday season, creative time gets short for a lot of us. But don't beat yourself up about it. Use the time to look back on what you accomplished this year, no matter how small it might seem, and feel proud about it!


Emily is working on reminding herself to take pride in her accomplishments. It's hard, but it's worth it. She's also working on learning how to be brave, reading her enormous backlog of comics, and writing entirely too many projects at the same time. Follow the insanity on Twitter @EmilykSinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment