Friday, October 30, 2015

Why I'm Not NaNo-Ing

I can't really wrap my head around the fact that November starts on Sunday. My brain is convinced that Anomaly Con was last year and we still have a lot of 2015 to go, even though we don't. It's kind of tough facing the fact that we're heading into NaNoWriMo and holiday season.

For the last month, I've flip-flopped on whether or not I want to try my hand at National Novel Writing Month again this year. I used to do it like clockwork every year while I was in school, but I think I'm going to sit back this time.

The thing I've noticed about myself is when I'm focused on sheer numbers and an 'enforced' deadline, I get sloppy. Not just inconsistencies and 50-word-sentences sloppy, but sloppy in the "I'm going to write as much ridiculousness as I can just to hit my word goal" kind of way. That often results in fourth-wall breaking, thinly veiled fanfic sections, and a jumbled mess of words that doesn't make sense as often as it does.

That works for some people, who can go through and pick out the gems and polish them up into something usable. But I have yet to find a way to fix a NaNo mess that I've created. I re-read the stuff I desperately wrote in that month and cringe and spend days trying to figure out what story I was telling. Not exactly the best kind of editing out there, and it's always more frustrating that it's worth.

If you can create something polishable from a NaNo piece, I salute you. And if you're participating this year, good luck! Keep writing!


Emily is currently wishing her fingers would warm up so typing wasn't such a problem. She's looking forward to not stressing about hitting an imaginary deadline and taking her time with the story she's working on. Once she finishes the short story that's on actual deadline, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment