Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book Review: Vampire Vic by Harris Gray

Yesterday's episode coincides with my review of the book, Vampire Vic, by Harris Gray.

The story follows Victor Thetherson, a late-middle-aged accountant with a weight problem, receding hairline, and aversion to blood. He's also a vampire. I didn't know what to expect from this book when I started out, but I found myself laughing at the jokes, cheering for the hero, and cringing every time the clumsy villain appeared on the page. The characters I was supposed to like, I connected with in a good way. The characters I was supposed to hate made me want to punch someone. Specifically, those characters.

As I said in our interview with the authors, the writing reminded me a little bit of John Grisham. If Grisham wrote vampire humor novels instead of courtroom dramas. The pacing and suspense kept me intrigued, and I found myself up late several nights to find out what happened next.

All in all, Harris Gray crafted a solid story with a satisfying conclusion, which is a daunting task for many writers (including myself). I'm impressed with how much effort they put into the project, and next book (which I'll review next week) is set up well by this one, though Vampire Vic could stand alone (a key requirement, in my opinion, for any book that begins a trilogy). I'm curious to see what Harris Gray comes up with next!

Giles loves finding great books, and in his constant quest to read more, he is stumbling across all kinds of gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment