Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back To School

I'm making personal strides. That's right, I'm going to school. I started last spring, took a few small classes, and I'm finishing up a certificate this fall semester.

I know our episode this week is about writing education, but that's not where this is going. As a general rule, I think it's important for people to continue to seek out education, no matter what they want to do with their lives. Yes, it's a cliche, but when we stop learning, we start dying.

At my day job, this is helping me get a leg up on my future opportunities. For a while, it appeared that we here at Beyond the Trope were going to have a few other opportunities, as well. That may still happen, but I don't want to spoil the surprise (or brag about something that may not happen).

This may be a short post, but that's because it's a quick point. Go back to school. Either by picking up a book at the library, taking podcast courses (or iTunes U!), or finding YouTube/Netflix seminars. Even if it's not something directly related to your life right now, it could open up real opportunities. And even if it doesn't, what do you lose from learning something new?

Giles isn't short, but this post is. Because he's working on too many projects and forgot to post until late in the day. Don't tell Emily or Michelle. It's secret between the two of us. And the internet. So definitely a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment