Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Widely Read

Some day, I'd like to say I'm very well-versed in many fiction styles and genres. Not to write in those genres, but to read in them. Over the past few years, as I study more and more about how to improve my writing, I've found that one of the best skills I can pick up is the ability to enjoy genres I don't write in.

As of right now, that's pretty easy. I write YA Sci-Fi. Stories that take place in outer space. At the library and my local bookstore, those are pretty tough to find. That doesn't mean that I'm ignoring everything in my genre, but it means that it's a lot easier to go out and pick up other books in other genres.

Recently, I picked up the audiobooks for The Bourne Identity and then The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum. While I wait for The Bourne Ultimatum to come in at the library, I'm going to listen to Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Why? Because those writers, along with authors of post-apocalyptic thrillers, dystopian adventures (and there IS a difference!!), fantasy, mystery, and traditional romance all have skills and techniques that I can learn from.

It's not easy, but it's worth every moment of time spent on it. It's already working, too. The Bourne novels have given me many ideas for plot twists and tweaks to how I reveal events to the reader in my WiP.

Three books to read that I think will boost your creative outlook:
INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE by Anne Rice
THE BOURNE IDENTITY by Robert Ludlum
ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins

Giles should be reading more than he does, but on the bright side, he'll be making time for it very soon. Check back for more awesome recommendations.

2 comments:

  1. As a mystery/sci-fi writer, it's easy to stay WITHIN my genre and still be different! All you have to do is read outside your subgenre. Still, I enjoy reading an occasional romance, and thrillers are second nature to me. I re-read "Pride & Prejudice" annually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is an awesome book! :D

      Delete