Friday, July 24, 2015

For When You're Stuck

I'm stuck. I've been invited to contribute to an anthology, and I love the concept for the story I've come up with. I just can't figure out how to write it. I've tried five different beginnings, the last of which is...well, okay, at best, but still painful and not exactly the tone I'm looking for. 

So, naturally, I started whining to talking it over with my lovely co-hosts (because they understand my pain). And I figured I'd share some of the things they reminded me of during our conversations:

  • You don't have to start at the beginning. If you're struggling with the opening of your story, consider jumping to the middle, or writing the ending first and working backwards. Sometimes, non-linear writing is what you need to jump-start your brain.
  • Power through it. You're not doing anyone any favors starting something over and over again and not getting any further than the first scene. Like Anne Lamott suggests: get the shitty first draft out and then go back and fix it.
  • Having a support system for your creative endeavors is invaluable. No matter what you're dong, having someone (or a group of someones) to help keep your feet on the ground when you're hating everything you're making really helps you keep things in perspective. Whether this is family, friends, a critique group, or a group of former strangers on the internet doesn't matter--as long as they're supportive and kick your butt when you need it. 
I still feel stuck on this piece, but I'm working through it, and that's what's important!


Emily is eternally grateful for the support of the rest of the Beyond the Trope crew and all of our great listeners! She seriously has no idea what she'd be doing without all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment