Monday, June 22, 2015

A Reminder

It’s nearly Monday night, and I’ve only just realized that Monday = blog day. It was one of those weeks. And because I have something really heavy on my mind, I’ll totally understand if you choose some lighter reading, such as this list of gateway animes or this article about an adorable octopus. But in case you like a balanced diet of cute animals AND philosophical thoughts, read on J

While I was watching Jurassic World with my sister and her boyfriend last Tuesday night, my grandfather passed away. By Saturday morning I was in Logan, Iowa, listening to a bugle boy and an 18-gun salute in a cemetery on top of a hill.

Iowa is pretty, green, and humid, and my family is weird, crazy, and fun. I can’t remember the last time we were all together. Here’s something I learned from them this weekend: let it go.

If someone in your life has wronged you, let it go. Forgiveness is healthier than bitterness, and a life of anger is poisonous. It poisons families and drives people to tantrums and gossip. I love my family. I love that we all are dry-humored and that we will do crazy things together, like go for walks on the side of highways in weather that’s 90 degrees and chock-full of humidity.

My grandpa is one of the reasons I feel confident doing as many things as I do. Writing, podcasting, drawing, running…these talents and dreams came in part from him, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Be thankful for the things you’ve gained from your family, but don’t be afraid to improve on them. When you dream something, go after it. When you love someone, keep up with them. Nothing is sadder than a life spent distancing yourself from the people and things that make you who you are.


Now, on to cuter things







Michelle doesn't miss the humidity, but she would have been OK with hanging out with her awesome cousins for a few more days. Totally OK. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment