Friday, May 29, 2015

Comic Con and Comic Scripts

Different writing formats have always fascinated me. A while ago, I tried to turn one of my old novel ideas into a screenplay for fun, but never quite figured out how to master the transition. 

Several of the authors we've talked to on Beyond the Trope write in several different mediums: comics, novels, short stories, screenplays for movies and/or television. If you're a regular listener, you've probably heard me asking how they manage it, if they have a favorite format, and what they see as the differences.

I guess it was really only a matter of time before I attempted to follow in their footsteps.

Confession time: I've been having a hard time enjoying writing short stories (like I'm supposed to be doing) for a bit now. I open the document or flip open the notebook and just kind of stare at the page, trying to figure out how to word, or if my idea has a small enough scope for a short. Needless to say, I've wasted quite a lot of time on that.

After the incredible Women in Comics NOW flash panel at Denver Comic Con on Monday (which you can listen to right here), I started thinking about what I would do if I was actually a comic creator like the incredible ladies sitting next to me. After a few paragraphs of free-writing on a new potential short story idea, I thought "hey, why not try to write this as a comic script instead?"

So, that's what I'm doing! I don't know if it'll go anywhere or if I'm spending time on something I'm not even any good at, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that shifting the format of what I'm working on has suddenly gotten me excited to start working again.

Sometimes, I think, it's good to shake things up.


Emily has, apparently, turned into the resident Comic Nerd of this podcast and she has no regrets about it whatsoever. Bring it on! If you really need her, she'll be under the blanket fort catching up on Ms. Marvel and The Wicked + The Divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment