Wednesday, April 8, 2015

On Finishing

Due to circumstances beyond our control, Giles and Emily are switching blogging days this week. Which means, you get fantastic Emily sass today instead of your scheduled Giles thoughts. Huzzah! 

One of my big problems when it comes to creative endeavors (not just writing) is actually finishing what I start. Michelle and Giles know this all to well from how many different things I submit to our critique group throughout any given month. I guess I'm one of those people that just gets really, really excited about new ideas and doesn't have the patience or self-discipline to finish out the old ones before moving on.

Which really isn't conducive to, you know, getting stories out in the world. Just saying.

The good news is that I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. I think a lot of creative people have problems finishing their work and letting it go. (Okay, I hope that's a thing, at least.) There's something terrifying about putting your creative things out on display for other people to see, and pick at, and tear apart. It's like ripping out your heart and putting it on a pedestal in an art museum filled with snobby critiques.

But there's also the great feeling of looking at a piece and saying, "Hey. I made this. It's imperfect, but it's finished, and it's mine." I think if we can hold onto that feeling a little bit longer, and the feeling when someone likes our imperfect mash of words, maybe finishing something won't be quite so scary.


Emily is very proud of the fact that she finished rough drafts of two different short stories in the past week. We're just not going to talk about how much polishing and editing they'll need before the world sees them. Look over there! It's a distraction!

No comments:

Post a Comment