Wednesday, March 25, 2015

On (oddly enough) Being an Adult

I don't know why prepping for Anomaly Con this weekend made me think of this, but every day I look around and see one more piece of evidence that I'm an adult. It strikes me as odd because I'm thirty. I've legally been an adult for twelve years. I was getting ready to quit a job I'd been working for years, and preparing to move to Portland. But even though I've been married for seven years, owned my own home for four, and successfully co-hosted a podcast for a full year, I still get surprised by little things that remind me that I'm an adult.

You see, when we're kids, every facet of our lives is directly influenced by our guardians. We have very little control. Our parents get a new job that requires a move, we have no choice: we move. Parents get divorced: we have to live with that day in and day out, and no matter how hard they try, it still effects pretty much every single day.

But as adults, we have the power and the option to decide for ourselves what we're going to let effect us each and every day. I make my decisions based on my life's needs. They're not made for me by someone who's making life-decisions for their family. In fact, the only person I need to consider when making life-altering decisions is my wife. If we decided to move to Seattle, Dallas, or New York, the only permission we need is our own. I don't have to ask my parents. I don't have to consider the feelings of my friends or siblings (don't have to, but it would be a mistake not to). It's our choice, our lives, and it's so weird to think that I'm not required to talk to anyone other than my wife when I want to make decisions.

This is a little rambly, I know, but it's just something to think about. Something I was thinking about, and an odd look into this weird little brain of mine. Is there something that can be used as a writing exercise here? Maybe. It's something to consider when writing a mid-twenties to mid-thirties character, and when writing teens, keep in mind that a lot of their life is controlled by what their parents are going through. And, because of that, teens are going to want to take charge in any way they can. They're feeling like adults, and they want to be adults. In YA, giving them the ability to take charge in one way or another will make the book appealing to many readers.

Giles can ramble at times, but he's allowed to. Because he's an adult. His mom said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment