Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Writing Lull

I've been in a bit of a writing lull lately. After NaNo, I was excited to get back into the routine of creating stories. But then life happened, I decided to go back to school, and writing got shuffled around to a place where I simply had to try to make time for it rather than keeping it a part of my regular routine.

This has been discouraging for me, especially because I love stories so much. It's a tough thing to admit, and I hate the fact that I'm not getting up at 6 every morning to create stories. On top of that, I've committed to so many things through the end of March that I feel like I can't wrap my head around the best way to schedule my time while making sure I stay rested. Getting sick a couple weeks ago definitely dented my motivation, too.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not trying to make excuses. I actually took time last Saturday to sit down and write. I left the house, got away from the TV, and got real work done. This is something I'm going to do more and more, too. Not sure how, yet, but especially when the semester is over, I'm refocusing. I don't like this lull. And I AM excited to write a new book. I even like the ideas that are dancing around in my head. It's a story and world that, even after I've started outlining, I still enjoy. Which is important.

There's a lot to do, but if I don't lose focus (which means asking for friends and family to help me stay focused), I may be able to get another book ready for submission by the end of this year. Or by next February.

Giles isn't a quitter, but he's struggling to figure out what to do next. While his job is fulfilling in its own way, he'd rather be writing. But with the increase in scheduled requirements, he's forced to reevaluate his schedule. He's working on it. Keep an eye out for more news along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment