Monday, January 5, 2015

The Best of Days

Today is my first day back at my day job after 2.5 weeks of vacation. Those 18 days marked the final weeks of what was, for me, a really great year. 2013 sucked, but 2014 was really great. And now that it’s 2015 I’m excited for a year I know will be even better than the last.  

Being away from my desk and all the emails/meetings/projects/colleagues taught me a few things, too: 
  1. I always wake up at 8:30. I can go to bed at 3 a.m. and still, with no alarm, wake up at 8:30. What.
  2. My dog wants me to wake up at 7, the jerk.
  3.  I think it may be impossible for me to not be productive unless either [A] sleeping or [B] watching a movie.
  4.  Mint tea is the best.

The most important thing I learned is sort of complicated. My favorite day of vacation was a 12-hour period of writing and drinking mint tea. I was teased for not moving all day* and for not wearing real clothes**. I don’t actually remember if I ate anything…I’m almost sure scrambled eggs were involved at some point. The point is, it was awesome. It felt like I was recharging my soul battery.


Instead of a resolution this year, I just want to be able to remember that feeling of 10,000 words traveling the highway between my brain and my fingertips. It’s like remembering where you come from in order to know where you’re going. I can look back on that day and say, “Hey, that’s how I know what I love.” It may not sound like a great day to most people, but to me it was the best of days. 





Michelle's hidden talents include drawing straight lines, making perfect grilled cheese sandwiches, and drinking entire cartons of chocolate almond milk before anyone else gets a taste. 





* In my defense, I did go for a run before sitting down to write. And I walked to the kitchen several times for more tea. That totally counts, right?
** Pajamas are THE BOMB

No comments:

Post a Comment