Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Reflections

As I think back on this first year of podcasting (even though we're still a month away from our anniversary), I find myself awed at how much we accomplished. Don't let that fool you, I'm humbled by it all, too.

In the last eleven months, I've had the opportunity to go to Denver Comic Con and introduce Max Brooks, moderate a Steampunk panel, a YA Fiction panel, and interview three amazing Fantasy and Science Fiction authors. I was honored to bring friends on the show to talk to them about their careers (thanks Angie, Warren, and Aaron!). I interviewed my favorite author, Jim Butcher, and didn't do a bad job. We also met an awesome band, went to TWO of their awesome shows, and spread the word so well that a navigator on a U.S. Navy destroyer gets to geek out about their music while steering a ship IN THE OCEAN!

But I think my favorite opportunity this year is still getting to see and review The Frame. More than that, the episode where we interviewed Jamin and Kiowa Winans (the creators of The Frame) is probably my favorite interview of the year. They're both SUPER passionate about what they do, and that came through so well in the interview that for several days after we talked to them (and after I re-listened to the episode to make sure I didn't need to edit it), I was pumped, inspired, and excited about my own passions.

Over the next year (as with the last), I'm going to pursue opportunities that are supposed to help launch my career. I'm going to take risks (like going back to school and pitching workshops to local cons). I'm going to agree to help out at events (announcements to come). And I'm double-down on this podcast and my writing to build an audience and spread the word about art in genre fiction. This is what I'm passionate about. This is what I need to pursue. Jamin and Kiowa made some big decisions when it came to their filmmaking. As I move forward, I want to be prepared to do the same.

Finally, I couldn't let a post like this end before taking the time to thank my awesome co-hosts, Emily and Michelle. It's been so much fun, and I'm looking forward to more fun and more work in the next year, and hopefully for years to come. Thank you.

Giles will be back next week with a brief message. For now, go listen to the interview with Jamin and Kiowa. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment