Monday, December 8, 2014

Introducing our Guest Blogger: Bwillett

New things are brewing at Beyond the Trope, and one of the first things we’re changing up is the way we do blogging. Don’t get me wrong – we love blogging. It’s awesome. But while we’re all about pounding out words and getting our own thoughts out into the great unknown, we’re more about hearing from other people! We also love to introduce our fans to other creative people we think they might love. So, instead of our regular blogs this week, we’ve invited local artist Bwillett to join us in the Interwebs as a guest blogger.

To jump-start Bwillett’s week of blogging, we did some fun Q&A to get to know her a little better. Read on!


Q: What kinds of things do you fangirl over?
A: I'm a huge Magical Girl junkie, I pretty much give any new series out of Japan a chance no matter how cheesy it looks. Right now I'm super stoked about that new Sailor Moon anime. I'm also a huge DC comics nerd, especially Batman Beyond. That show just did so many things right in terms of story. I am also the biggest Egytology freak. If I didn't end up doing comics I'd probably be an archeologist.

Q: If you could go back and give your middle school-aged self a superpower, what would it be and why?
A: My first instinct would probably say Magical Girl powers. Cute outfit, awesome powers, fighting evil by moonlight, and middle school would be the right age for it. But in reality I'd probably want invisibility or something. Middle School SUCKED. Invisibility would be vital to survival.

Q: If you could be a character in someone else's comic, who would it be and why?
A: God, there are so many series and universes I'd love to be a part of, but I'd say my true fictional home would have to be...Death City from Soul Eater. I love the universe  Atsushi Ōkubo created and it seems for the most part it'd be pretty safe. Gotham has Batman, but also really bad crime, and pretty much any swords and sorcery world I'd more likely be just one of the anonymous peasants that always gets eaten by the monsters or something. Second place would be Berk from How to Train Your Dragon. I think having a pet dragon would be pretty awesome.

Q: Will you ever sneak out of the anime genre and create a different type of comic?
A: I like to think of my style as more of a hybrid than strictly anime, since most anime fans say my work looks more western, while western comic book fans tend to say I'm more anime. My style is an influence of all sorts of things: CLAMP, Disney, Will Eisner, Kazuki Takahashi, Bruce Timm. But I have to say that so far Midnight Menagerie is way further away from my earlier more 'anime' style. The expressions and backgrounds are more realistic, and it's actually in color, which is a new thing for me.

Q: What is your all-time favorite trope?
A: I am a sucker for the burly broad and femme boy relationships. I think it's really cute when a writer puts together some tough, burly, no nonsense women with a slightly wimpy or feminine man. And I really think it's cute when that man still thinks of this kick ass woman and the most beautiful thing ever. I'm talking like Astrid and Hiccup, Fix-it Felix and Calhoun, etc.



Bwillett lives and works just outside of Denver, where she reinvents genres and character tropes in her web comic series. She does all of her own writing, art, and post-production work (whew!). And in photos she poses with a squirty toy fish named Icthyus Ignatius Bonaparte Fisherton III. Seriously, you just can’t beat that. Her work is a fantastic blend of anime and Western styles, and lovers of 90s-era anime will find a kindred spirit in Bwillett’s creativity. You can find her online at bwillettcomics.com/, on Facebook at /BwillettComics, and on Twitter at /BwillettComics

No comments:

Post a Comment