Friday, November 21, 2014

Priorities

On the podcast this week, we interviewed Jim Butcher and talked about writing communities. So, I'm not going to talk about either in this post! Listen to the episode if you want to hear my thoughts. [Insert evil laughter here.]

With the holidays coming up, I've been thinking a lot about how I'm going to squeeze writing in between celebrating and seeing family and trying to make sure I don't fall behind in my day job. It's a rather intimidating task, if I'm honest. Unfortunately, it's all too easy for me to shove writing and creating into the lowest-priority spot on my to-do list. I don't have solid deadlines (yet), and it's incredibly simple to make excuses--"oh, I'm too tired," or "I can't brain," or "I'll just write double tomorrow and catch up." Spoilers: that double-writing never actually happens.

I know I'm not the only one who has this problem. I think it's a pretty common thing about us creatives, especially when we're under stress or are in the "I hate everything" phase of creating.

So, how do we get around that? Find a way to make your creative time a priority. It's important! As human beings, we're wired to express ourselves and art is a great way to do it, no matter your medium. As hard as it is, find a way to carve out time to focus on your art, even if it's only half an hour a day. Any time is better than none. Reward yourself on the days you get your creating done. Or (what I'm thinking about trying) tell a friend that you'll write them a check for something that feels perhaps a little too tight on your budget if you don't get your word count/goal finished in a set amount of time.

Find something that pushes you to be creative, whether that's a community, or a routine, or something else entirely.


Emily's trying not to be what one might call a professional procrastinator, but she's not so great at baby steps. In the meantime, she'll be over in the corner staring at her manuscript and trying to force the words out.

No comments:

Post a Comment